Making Shiso Oil
This shiso oil has a great flavor and can be used for rolls, nigiri sushi, or just about anything.
- 3 cups packed Shiso leaves, stemmed, washed and spun dry
- 1/2 cup packed spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cups grape seed oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare an ice bath with strainer.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil, then salt the water until it tastes like sea water.
- Add Shiso and spinach and blanch for 2 minutes until soft but still very green.
- Immediately transfer Shiso and spinach to an ice bath and chill.
- Squeeze out all excess water and transfer to a blender.
- Add sugar and ginger and blend on high speed, adding the oil in a steady stream.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and check for flavor. Puree should be green and smooth.
- When room temperature, store in an airtight jar. Makes approximately 3 cups.