Where To Buy The Tools You Need
Do You Need Special Equipment To Make Sushi?
If you are a sushi lover and want to try to make sushi at home, then an inexpensive kit can be an excellent tool to have. These kits are designed to make the process of making sushi, particularly rolls (maki) easy and straightforward. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about using a kit to make your own sushi meal.
What Is Included?
A sushi kit is a set of various tools that are used to allow one to create their sushi in a simple and convenient way. Each kit is different, but they typically include a bamboo mat, rice vinegar, nori seaweed sheets, wasabi, soy sauce, and a set of chopsticks. Some kits also include additional ingredients such as pickled ginger, sesame seeds, and bamboo skewers, though for most people even just the bamboo mat may suffice instead of an entire collection of items you may already have.
Types of Kits
There are several different types of kits available and some are more or less complete than others. Some kits are designed specifically for beginners and come with all the basic tools and ingredients needed to make sushi at home. Other kits are more advanced (and expensive) and may include additional tools such as a rice cooker, knife, and a rolling machine. When choosing a sushi kit, it is important to consider your level of experience and the types of sushi you want to make.
Keep Your Tools Ready
Using a kit is a fairly straightforward process, but it does take some practice. The most common accessory is the rolling mat, used to make maki-zushi. Here are some helpful tips for the best results:
- Cook the rice according to the instructions provided on the bag or with the kit.
- Lay a sheet of nori seaweed on top of the bamboo mat. Typically half a sheet is used.
- Spread the cooked rice evenly across top of the nori seaweed in a thin layer.
- Add your desired ingredients on top of the rice.
- Use the bamboo mat to make the roll into a cylinder. Covering the mat with cling wrap keeps it clean and helps if the rice spills out a bit.
- Slice the roll into bite-sized pieces using a sharp knife, typically 6-8 pieces.
Additional Points For Great Results
Here are some helpful thoughts to help you get the most out of your kit:
- Make sure to use high-quality ingredients such as high-quality rice and fresh seafood.
- Use a very sharp knife to cut the roll into pieces.
- Wet your hands very slightly with water before handling the rice to prevent it from sticking.
- Don’t overfill the roll with ingredients.
- Experiment with different ingredients to find your favorite flavor combinations; you may discover a new and tasty creation!
What About Japanese Restaurants
Sushi kits are not only used at home, but they are also used in Japanese restaurants to some degree. In many restaurants, the chef will have their own kit that contains all the tools and ingredients needed to make your meal, and some chefs are very particular about the equipment they use. The sushi chef will use the kit to prepare the sushi in front of the customers if they sit at the counter, adding an element of entertainment to the dining experience, including the gentle and fascinating omakase style of dining.
Try It Yourself
Using a sushi kit at home can be a fun and rewarding experience. With the right tools and ingredients, you can create delicious and authentic sushi in the comfort of your own home, and it’s less expensive than going out. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced sushi maker, a kit customized for your desires is a valuable tool to have in your kitchen. For those of you who are interested in buying a sushi kit (you can find them here) to make your sushi night at home easier, Catalina Offshore Products is a great place to buy one as well as all the ingredients you need to make great sushi at home.