Making A Spicy Tuna Roll
Making a spicy tuna roll is a tasty adventure, particularly for people who like a little heat in their food! Imagine you’re a chef, and your mission is to create one of the the best sushi rolls. Well firstly, always start with fresh tuna. It should be soft and have a deep red color. Next, you want to add some spice. Some people like to use hot sauces, while others prefer spicy seasonings. Typically we see it very simply, with cayenne pepper sprinkled on the tuna, and nothing else, or a form of spicy mayonnaise. Whatever you choose, make sure it gives your tuna that extra kick! Making a roll into into the perfect circle we see at a restaurant might take some practice, but don’t give up! When you finally make your spicy tuna roll, it’s a mix of spicy excitement and the fresh taste of the ocean. Whether you’re new to sushi or you’ve loved it for years, the spicy tuna roll is surprisingly popular. Remember, it’s not just about eating; it’s about creating something special with your own hands. So, the next time you think of sushi, try to remember that it takes time to perfect as it’s both a science and an art. Practice makes perfect!
- 3 cups prepared sushi rice
- 2 sheets nori (dried seaweed)
- 1/4 lb sushi/sashimi grade tuna (maguro)
- 1/2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- A dash of any cayenne or chili pepper of your choice (ichimi-togarashi is a common Japanese style chili)
- Our special spicy mayo (optional)
- Chop up the tuna and mix with the mayonnaise and chili (or our spicy mayonnaise from our recipe).
- Place one sheet of nori on your bamboo mat, with the shiny side facing down.
- Gently cover the nori with your prepared sushi rice, keeping the far side of the nori sheet free of rice for a width of about an inch and a half.
- Take half the mixture of spicy tuna mix and spread evenly across the side facing you
- Fold the roll, keeping a careful eye in the ingredients, and as you work your way up to the top, tighten the roll by pressing down on your mat forming a somewhat square shape.
- Slice the roll in half, arrange the two halves together, and make three more slices (four if you think you can fit them) and you will have a six to eight piece roll.
- Enjoy your spicy tuna roll!