Shrimp Tempura Roll Recipe
Another classic “new” roll, the shrimp tempura roll is a very popular item. I’ve seen it fancied up with lettuce and/or other items, which some people like, but a simple version is always good as well.
- 2 pieces cooked shrimp tempura (with tails removed)
- 1/2 ripe avocado (sliced into 1/2 inch)
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 sheet of nori (toasted seaweed)
- 1/4 of a cucumber, sliced into strips
- Place one sheet of nori on your bamboo mat, with the shiny side facing down.
- Gently cover the nori with your prepared sushi rice, keeping the far side of the nori sheet free of rice for a width of about an inch and a half.
- Place each shrimp on the roll, with each tail at the opposing side of the roll.
- Add the avocado and cucumber evenly across the shrimp tempura.
- Fold the roll, keeping a careful eye in the ingredients, and as you work your way up to the top, tighten the roll by pressing down on your mat forming a somewhat square shape.
- Slice the roll in half, arrange the two halves together, and make three more slices (four if you think you can fit them) and you will have a six to eight piece roll.
- Enjoy your spicy tuna roll!
Some people leave the tails on for show, though personally I find that this just gets in the way, although they are crunchy and edible when cooked.